The FIRST Program
Welcome to the Homepage of the IIMS-FIRST Program. The Frederic-Bartter Institutional Resource to Support Translation (FIRST) is the early phase clinical trial support arm of the Institute for Integration of Medicine and Science (IIMS) of the UT – Health Science Center at San Antonio. Our mission is to support the clinical and translational science investigations within the UT Health Science Center and all of its clinical partners throughout South Texas.
Introducing the FIRST Program. Within the IIMS, the FIRST Program is the clinical research support service core designed to assist translational science investigators in the conduct of Phase I-IV clinical research studies in and around the South Texas Medical Center. We are particularly excited to announce that there are several operational components of the FIRST Program as follows:
- Bartter Research Unit (BRU) is an Inpatient/Outpatient Adult unit located within the Bartter Center on Unit 7A in the STVHCS - VA hospital;
- The Children’s Health Advocacy Research Treatment (CHART) Center is an Inpatient/Outpatient Pediatric research unit;
- FIRST-Outpatient Research Unit (FORU) is an Outpatient unit located on the first floor of the Medical Arts & Research Center (MARC)..
The Scientific Director of the FIRST Program is John D. Roache, Ph.D. and the FIRST Program Coordinator is Deborah Mote, M.B.A. The FIRST Program is part of the Clinical and Translational Science Award (CTSA) led by Kenneth M. Hargreaves, D.D.S., Ph.D., Co.-Principal Investigator. Three Co-Directors serve the Clinical Services Core along with Dr. Roache to operate components of the FIRST Program. These Directors are:
- FIRST Program Scientific Director: John Roache, Ph.D.
- CHART Center Administrative Director: Jannine D. Cody, Ph.D.
Please navigate through the FIRST Program tabs to find information about each of our clinical research components and to see how we may be able …to support your research.